Wanna learn how to create a GIANT splash in your industry in order to skyrocket your sales? Because they're hearing about you everywhere? Well keep reading because you're in luck.
So I always get this question... "how do I get people talking and hearing about my brand?". I don't care if your selling jewelry in your basement, have a brick and mortar or are a lifestyle blogger who wants to gain more traction to their blog... establishing yourself as the go to brand is KEY.
So I thought I'd whip together a super informative post on how YOU can start creating some buzz for your brand to help explode sales. Sound good? Good. Take some super good notes because after today, getting some buzz will be a breeze.
P.S. if you want to learn even more about how to get featured and/or published on some pretty killer website like Inc., Fast Company, Forbes, etc. click HERE to enroll in my free email course "How to Get Free Press".
Alright, follow the steps below and you're sure to start making waves in your industry.
Make Social Media Friends
Have you ever been scrolling through Instagram and noticed that everyone and their mom seems to be talking about this certain brand (all around the same time)? Yeah, I know you know exactly what I'm talkin' about.
It's like all the sudden xyz brand is the "it" brand right now that everyone's hearing about for the first time.
So you sit and wonder... how in the world did xyz brand just all the sudden gain all this killer traction? Well it's because they're geniuses and no one else can replicate their magical sense of marketing.
Hahaha, I'm totally kidding. You're in luck my friend because I'm going to show you EXACTLY how.
They made friends.... yup, it's as simple as that. They weren't afraid to reach out and ask for help. Here's a step by step process you can use to be "that" brand that all the sudden sprouted, everyone's talking about and becomes the leader in their industry. Here goes:
- Pick 10 other Instagram shops / bloggers you already follow, know and love.
- Make sure you're picking accounts that have an audience that would actually be interested in your brand / products
- Make sure to comment and like on their posts when you see them pop up in your feed for the next week or so.
- Send them an email, yes an actual email... not a direct message via Instagram, saying hello and asking them if they'd be willing to help you out. Take a look at the example below:
Lindsay with @lot801 here, we've connected a bit via Instagram. I'm absolutely in love with your brand and can't get over how much I love following your IG feed. You're totally kicking a**, keep it up!
Anyway, I'm reaching out because we're just about to release our new prints next week and would love some help spreading the word. As long as it fits in with your brand and schedule of course.
I've attached 3 promo images you can choose from and some sample text below. We're asking our friends to please share anytime between 3/20 - 3/24 if you can.
We'd be happy to return the favor when you've got something you'd like to promote as well. We love supporting small biz + friends. As a thank you, we'd love to send you one of our anniversary tees. Let me know!
Sample text: "Okay, have you seen the new prints @Lot801 just released? I'm pretty sure I'm obsessed with the pineapple print (soooo good!). If you haven't already checked 'em out, go now!!!!"
- Make sure to send a few images for them to pick through. That way they can choose one that best fits in with their feed.
- Be sure to include some sample text. This makes it incredibly easy for them to say yes, all they have to do is copy / paste it into their caption. But also let them know they are free to write their own as well.
- You MUST be willing to return the favor if/when they need it.
- Now, even if only 1/2 the accounts agree to help you out... you've got 5 people talking about your brand, directing their followers to you. High five!
Get A Media Mention
So every time I mention this one to a client, they cringe. Why? Because they think it's dam near impossible to make happen. Truth, it's seriously not as hard as you might think.
I know I'm not the only one that daydreams of getting mentioned in that perfect magazine, crazy popular blog, that Instagram account with the HUGE following, etc.
I'm hear to tell you, your dreams are SO reachable babe. Like, they're closer than you might think. And being able to brag and announce to everyone and their mom that you were just featured in abc magazine is everything. It automatically skyrockets you to the popular brand in your industry.
Trust me, when big media places mention you, it's a whirlwind of craziness... your SEO ranking increase, you gain tons of new followers, your sales go up, up, up... and people aren't only hearing about your brand, but they're talking about you. Creating tons of buzz about your brand and there you go... you just made a dent in your industry.
So how do we make this happen? Good question. Now there are a TON of ways to get a few media mentions, but I'm going to share just one with you today. Here goes:
- Pick a popular website / blog you know has an audience that will love your products.
- Read a few of their article that relate to your industry. If you sell jewelry, try finding a blog post where they gave some style tips, maybe a post where they featured a favorite new brand, maybe an article where they featured a competitor of yours, etc.
- Now scroll to the top or the bottom of the article and see WHO wrote that article.
- Get that persons email address. Many times you can click right on their name and contact info will pop up. Other times you have to do bit of Googling to find it somewhere. If you still can't find it, just send an email to their general inbox asking for that person contact info.
- Send them an email pitch. Remember to pitch a story / idea that fits in with their brand and you know their audience will love. Maybe offer to send a sample of your latest bracelet to be featured in their next styled post. Or you ask how to apply to be their next "favorite new brand" post. You might find THIS post helpful when writing your pitch.
- If you don't hear back within a week, send a polite follow up to make sure the'd received your previous email.
- If you get a no or never hear back... don't take it personally. Just go ahead and move on to the next and go pitch another blog / website. No harm. But you might be surprised by how many times you DO hear back. Remember, they're looking for stories to write, make their jobs easier by handing them one on a bright shiny platter.
Focus on Your Customers... Like a Lot!
Ever heard the saying 'word of mouth is the best advertising'? Yeah, there's a reason why that saying's popular. Because it couldn't be ANY more true. And the best part???? It's FREE advertising.
And if you've been following this blog even for a little bit, you KNOW how much I love me some FREE advertising.
Have you ever been to a baby shower (or any party in general) where the host received a gift and everyone there was all like... "OMG where in the world did you get that? That's so cool. Wait, what's the name of the company?" and then everyone looks it up on their phone.
THAT my friend is what you want... always.
So when you go above and beyond for your customers, they become your biggest fans, raving about you and your brand everywhere they go.
So next time someone contacts you with an issue (even if it's their fault, or not even REALLY an issue), treat them as if this was the most devastating thing to happen to them all month long, lol.
I know, sounds ridiculous but trust me, it works. And totally makes their day. A mentor of mine once told me to treat every customer inquiry as if it were your mom or grandma that had this issue. You would be super kind, give them the benefit of the doubt and just do what you could to make them feel better, right?
If you have that mind set every single time, you're bound to really wow your customers.
But I have one other little tip that I like to do every now and then. I do this when I' in a REALLY good mood and feeling extra sassy:
- Go back and pick 3-5 recent customers. They can be randomly chosen, maybe your best customers, maybe customers that recently had an issue, etc.
- Write down their names and shipping addresses.
- Choose something nice to send them. I've sent personalized Thank You notecards where I wrote them a nice personal message, I've sent a fun letter with a few exclusive promo codes, I've sent a complimentary item "on us", I've even sent a bouquet of flowers from a local flower shop before.
- Then send them this special something out of the blue. You will love reading the sweet emails you receive from doing this. Seeing their sweet Instagram posts thanking you for your gift.
- You've now achieved best brand ever award.
Follow these steps and you're bound to create some killer buzz in your industry to skyrocket sales.
if you want to learn even more about how to create even MORE buzz for your brand, click below to enroll in my FREE email course "How to Get Free Press".
Have you been able to create some buzz in your industry from a strategy that isn't in today's post? I'd love to hear all about it. Tell me all about your kick ass strategy in the comments below, I can't wait to hear it.